Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bury St Edmunds Art Society

On Thursday evening I gave a portrait demonstration to the Bury St. Edmunds Art Society. Over 60 people turned up for the event and it turned out to be a most enjoyable occasion.
I have done quite a few demonstrations for them over the last few years, usually in oils. This time, however, a watercolour portrait was requested. As I have said in previous blogs this is the most demanding medium and it is rather like walking a tightrope without a safety net.
As is usually the case there were few volunteers to sit as the model so in the end I managed to "persuade" George who has attended a few of my classes and whom I know fairly well.
I began by showing a few samples of my work, some quick watercolour studies and a couple of finished pieces. I then demonstrated how to construct the head , looking at proportions, tone and the various individual features. Thereafter, I set to work on the painting, without any preliminary drawing whatsoever and using a combination of wet into wet and dry brush technique. Below is the portrait of George I produced.




I am pleased to say the audience was lively and enthusiastic. They asked numerous questions and a good banter took place. At times, however, I did begin to feel I was turning into my fellow compatriot, Billy Connolly!
The Bury Art Society is holding its Annual Exhibition at the Edmund gallery, Angel Hill, Bury St. Edmunds from 24th June -7th July.

No comments: